Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

My grandchild resided in Missouri for 6 yrs and is now 7 and

My grandchild resided in Missouri for 6 yrs and is now 7 and living in North Carolina. Both his parents are Heroin addicts and once again my grandson was taken from them from Social Service and placed with his Aunt that lives in North Carolina. How can I, his grandmother, living in Mo go about petitioning the court to give me temporary custody of him. The first time he was taken away from them was in Mo and now in NC. Any info will be helpful. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - Since the child is now in NC you would have to file a motion for custody in the family law court in the county where the child is located and ask for custody based on the fact that the parents are unfit to raise the child and that it would be in the best interest of the child to reside with you rather than the aunt. This will involve you having to go to NC for court hearings so it may be best to hire a NC lawyer to handle all of the preliminary filings etc. to save you multiple trips. The best place to find a lawyer would be through the Bar in NC and I have provided their website below for your convenience. If you do not want to hire a lawyer you are permitted to act on a pro se basis but custody cases can get complicated, especially if they are in another state.