How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31560
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My divorce papers state that my ex-husband is to pay me child

Resolved Question:

My divorce papers state that my ex-husband is to pay me child support. The children have since decided to live with him with so I carry their medical insurance and he doesn't pay any support. He now is taking me back to court for child support. Will I be responsible for back child support? We live in West Virgnia.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


The change of custody is not official until a court order is entered changing it from you to the father. Likewise, a child support change should not take effect until the court changes custody.


Thus, you should owe support from the date custody is changed, but you would generally not be responsible for support prior to the change.

Roger and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions