Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My divorce papers state that my ex-husband is to pay me child

My divorce papers state that my ex-husband is to pay me child support. The children have since decided to live with him with so I carry their medical insurance and he doesn't pay any support. He now is taking me back to court for child support. Will I be responsible for back child support? We live in West Virgnia.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

The change of custody is not official until a court order is entered changing it from you to the father. Likewise, a child support change should not take effect until the court changes custody.

Thus, you should owe support from the date custody is changed, but you would generally not be responsible for support prior to the change.