Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

My daighers dad has a son who is 16 I am not sure but I beleived

My daighers dad has a son who is 16 I am not sure but I beleived he signed his rights over to the mother when his son wass two. Would the courts consider that neglect? Reason why I am asking is because he is trying to get full custody of her or is threatening to at least
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello there:

Thank you for your question. To rephrase, the question is whether a parent surrendering his rights to his two year old child would constitute neglect. I will start by saying that, because the nuances of every case are different, you should not rely on this information as advice or apply it to a specific situation without a more thorough consultation with counsel.

Neglect is when the child is at risk from lack of care, or where the child is harmed due to lack of care. Surrendering one's custodial or parental rights is not neglect. It obviously isn't strong parenting, but it does not endanger or harm the child.

Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Please remember to click accept once you are finished. Thank you.