How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

does my child mother have the right to file in the courts to have my sons last name change

Resolved Question:

does my child mother have the right to file in the courts to have my sons last name changed, and i pay child support and carry insurance on him , and we both live in differents states, she live in Califorina and i move to oklahoma about a year a go and she wont let me see my son, i have no contact due to her what rights do i have
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

do you have a custody order giving you rights to visitation? did you ever petition the court for visitation/custody rights?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no they only thing she has done is file for child support and i was getting my son almost every weekend, and when she need me to take him to the doctors etc... we was never married and she stop letting me see my son when she got married and the last time i saw my son was almost two years a go and i move to the state of oklahoma oct of 2010.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
is there a reason in the past 2 years you have done nothing to enforce your right to see your son? why have you not taken her to court to see your son??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have had no clue how to go about doing any of this, until my girlfriend gave me advice and told me kinda what to do. thats why i am on here trying to figure out what to do. she wont give me a address to mail birthday cards and gife i dont have a phone number i cant talk to him and she has blocked me from facebook do to the fact i email her and ask if i could have all that info and if i could see my son the the only reply back i get is your not his father anymore
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
I understand. You now have notice from the court that she is trying to change the name. there should be an address on the petition to serve her or her attorney with your response to the petition for name change. you need to file a response objecting to the name change and file it with the court and serve her/her attorney with your response. Now you have the chance to file your own petition for joint custody and visitation and serve her with that also. You really need to hire a CA family law attorney to respond for you. In future if she does anything with your son and you don't know what to do, you need to talk to a family law attorney in the state she is in and take immediate legal action or it looks like you have abandoned your son. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you