Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

Hi, I am single, I had a fling and now the girl claims she

Customer Question

Hi, I am single, I had a fling and now the girl claims she is 2 months pregnant. She is in India right now, she says she may abort it but I got a threatning email from her sister claiming they could legally charge me with a crime. Is there any such law, the sex was mutual consent, what if she delivers the baby, what are my options ? do I need to hire a lawer to be safe. Can she or her family charge me of anything ? Am I wrong in any way ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 years ago.

How old is the girl?

.

Thanks.

.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
29
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 years ago.
Ok, then she is well beyond the age of consent. With that said, assuming that the sex was consensual, then there is nothing illegal that has occurred.

If she has the child, she could file a paternity suit and determine if you are the biological father. If so, you could be liable to pay child support for the child until it turns 18.

But no, no crime has occurred here and you do not need a lawyer right now.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what do I need to do to avoid child support, since I do not want the kid and she tricked me into it saying she has issues and cannot concieve and having unprotected sex is ok. Do I have that right or no ?
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 years ago.
Well, if you are the biological father, you can't get out of child support. The court would order it to be paid and you could be held in contempt of court and jailed if you didn't.

Unfortunately, her lying wouldn't affect your obligation should you be determined to be the father. But obviously you would want a DNA test to confirm it should she proceed with the pregnancy and have the child.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

.