Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator

On a follow up question. I am early 50s, my ex mid 40s. I plan

On a follow up question. I am early 50s, my ex mid 40s. I plan on retiring at 62, do I have to pay espousal support once I retire? Will my social security check be reduced?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Spousal support does not necessarily terminate upon the retirement of the paying party. An award of spousal support is generally created in one of two ways, either by agreement by the parties or by a judge after a trial.

If you reach an agreement with your spouse, you could have as part of that agreement that spousal support will terminate upon your retirement. Alternatively, you could agree that it will be reduced upon your retirement. If the award is created by the judge, then you will be bound by his decision. However, at trial, you could put these requests before the court in an effort to have him rule in your favor.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.