Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If a father has never paid support does he have any rites,

If a father has never paid support does he have any rites, in the state of Florida
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

Yes, the father still has rights. Child support has nothing to do with the father's right to visitation. Thus, his failure to pay would not prohibit him from seeing the child.

However, the fact that the father has not seen the child in a year could be considered abandonment and grounds to terminate his parental rights. That would take a legal action in court to have his rights ended - which is usually hard unless the father agrees to the termination.

That said, your daughter can refuse his request and force him to file a petition in court for visitation. Until he gets a court order requiring her to allow visitation, she is under no legal obligation.