LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

my exhusband got a dwi a year ago and lost his license so he

my exhusband got a dwi a year ago and lost his license so he quit his job and now has a job that pays 80 percent less and wants to reduce child support. Can he do this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:

I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.

My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:

1. When you receive my answer, please kindly click the ACCEPT button. This is the case regardless of whether you are paying for just one question or are using any type of subscription plan or promotional offer. Doing so does not terminate our dialog. I will gladly continue our discussion, without additional charge, if needed. I receive no wages or salary for my time.

2. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.

3. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.

4. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.

5. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.

6. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.

7. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

QUESTION: "Can he do this?"

ANSWER: He could certainly file a motion seeking such relief, but that is a world different from actually being granted a downward modification of his child support obligations. In other words, he would bear the burden of proving the statutory elements to be granted a modification, and quitting one's job and driving while intoxicated are not exactly high on the list. In fact, the law recognizes the concept of being intentionally under or unemployed. So, here is the botXXXXX XXXXXne. No one can guarantee what the Court will decide, but I can certainly say that your former husband does not have a compelling case whatsoever based upon your description of the events.

I truly hope all works out for you. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since it has been a year will the judge take that into consideration? My exhusband says he has only a 125.00 dollars left at the end of the month after bills, so he is living below proverty will the judge take that into consideration? I told him to get a second job but he refuses because he is exhausted at the end of the day. Will the judge see that i am only working parttime and suggest I get a fulltime job?

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

You are quite welcome-- my pleasure to be of service.

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

I have answered your question on the honor system, so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you click "Accept" Many thanks in advance!

QUESTION: "Since it has been a year will the judge take that into consideration?"

ANSWER: Yes. This would typically be a factor the Judge will consider.

QUESTION: "My exhusband says he has only a 125.00 dollars left at the end of the month after bills, so he is living below proverty will the judge take that into consideration?"

ANSWER: Yes. It would also be usual for the Judge to consider those issues.

QUESTION: "Will the judge see that i am only working parttime and suggest I get a fulltime job?"

ANSWER: No. The focus of the hearing, should it reach that point, will be upon your former husband and the proper amount of his child support obligations.

Here is a laundry list of the facts to be considered: Minnesota Statutes § 518A.39.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would the judge consider that he could get a second job? Wouldnt the judge say to him the reason your in the perdicament your in is your fault?

Hello again,

Once you accept my answer to give me credit for my work, as I receive no salary or wages for my time and services, I will gladly continue our dialog and answer your additional new questions for no additional charge.

Thanks!