Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

single father wants child custody arrangement- how do I proceed? Can we set it up through

single father wants child custody arrangement- how do I proceed? Can we set it up through a mediator- does it have to go to court? where do I find a mediator- toms river, nj
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. To rephrase, the question is how to initiate the process to get a custody order in New Jersey, and if mediation is an alternative to going through the court. I will start by saying that you should not rely on this information as advice or apply it to a specific situation without a more thorough consultation with counsel.

That said, this forms packet is designed for unmarried parents seeking child custody: http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/11492_fd_initial_appl_kit.pdf

Mediation is always possible in lieu of a contentious court case. The parties can mediate before or after starting a court case. However, any mediated agreement must be ordered by the court to be enforceable. So, if the parties want their mediated agreement to be enforceable, they would need to file for child custody anyway and just ask the court to adopt the agreement as an order.

Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Please remember to click accept once you are finished. Thank you.