How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking for someone knowledgeable about FL. Is very urgent

Resolved Question:

Looking for someone knowledgeable about FL. Is very urgent and time sensitive...
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.

I am a licensed Florida attorney. What specific information would you like?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh super - my son, his wife and two children live with us. My daughter-in-law has been attending nursing school and as the children are 2 and 3, we all thought it better that they live us so we could help care for the children. My son and daughter-in-law have been going through some ups and downs since last Aug when she informed him she did not love him but they seemed to work it out and in the last month things really went haywire. She announced she was leaving, without the kids, and we tried to talk her into counseling and at least to stay until we could figure out daycare or a sitter. This past Sunday evening she simply packed up and left, did not say goodbye, left her phone here (it was borrowed), has no car, and moved in with a friend. Because this was the last straw for my son he filed for divorce on Monday, something they were planning to do anyway, removed her from the state aid case they have and opened his own, removed her from his insurance and bank, basically seperated out everything.


She did not call except to aks for money and to say she wanted the kids this coming weekend. He replied to her after talking to his attorney (who we cannot get a hold of until Monday which is why I am writing in) and told her that she could come to the house to see them or he would meet her somewhere but no overnights until everything was decided legally. The kids are freaked out and do not want to "go away like mommy". In the meantime, my daughter-in-law had sexual relations with the husband of the woman she was staying with and got kicked out. She called on Wed to come back here to the house as she has no where else to go. My son told her no he was concerned for the children. She tried to hang herself and swallowed some thyroid medication, walked 20 miles to a store near our house and called at 2 AM yesterday morning looking for my son. He went to the store, found out she had tried suicide and took her to a local hospital where she was admitted.


Today she called and said that she was told because her mail is coming here he cannot prevent her from returning. He is freaked out, does not want her here, does not want her around the children in the state she is in and cannot get a hold of his attorney. He is trying as I type this but he asked me if I could find anything out. We just want to know what his rights are. Can he prevent her from returning here, do we need some emergency restraining order, she has not tried to come here, she is still in the hospital, but she could be released Sunday morning...just not sure what to do...


Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
So sorry to hear of this dilemma.

If my answer is not clear to you or does not completely answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

First you are not required to allow her to enter the house. Had she left for a few days with the intent to cool things down, she would be legally entitled to return home. However in this situation she moved out of the house and your son has filed for divorce.

It is not likely that the hospital will release her Sunday morning – a mere 24 hours after a suicide attempt. Your son can contact the hospital and state that he believes that she is a danger to herself and others and request that she be held for a full 72 hour psychiatric evaluation. They are not required to comply with his request but may do so

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks - it was actually Thursday morning about 3 am that she was admitted. So, Sun morning would be the full 72 hours. We were scared that it being a Sunday we could not really do anything. We don't want to have to call the police, we are not in danger, she just cannot come back here for many, many reasons at this point. If she shows up, do we simply refuse entry? Thanks.
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
I see

If she arrives at your home you can deny her entry. If she attempts to force her way in, you may call the police. You will need to be very clear with the police officer that she has moved out of the property and a divorce has been filed. You may also want to mention that she was just released from a psychiatric hospital.

You will want to be certain that your son is with the children. Absent a court order to the contrary, a parent is the natural guardian of the child and therefore if your son is not with the children, she has the right to take the children

It has been my pleasure to assist you.

Your satisfaction is very important to me.
If I have not answered your question completely, please let me know by clicking reply.
If you are satisfied with my service, please leave positive feedback even if the law is not in your favor.

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by starting your new question with "For WebLaw"
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.
Ellen and 11 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.

I have not heard from you in several days – I was just wondering how your situation is proceeding. I am here if you need any further information.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions