Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
11297241

How do i change my last name in north carolina?

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 4 years ago.

What is the reason for your name change?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My last name i have now i don't like because i was picked on in school for it and i don't like the way it sounds.

In that case, you would have to file a name change petition with the Special Proceedings Division of the county court. The court will require you to post a notice must be for at least ten days on the Courthouse bulletin boards indicating your intent to change your name, and you must demonstrate good and sufficient reason for the name change. You will have t to have at least two notarized affidavits demonstrating proof of your good character filed by citizens of the county you are filing in who know you. You will also have to provide a National fingerprint criminal history record check.

You can obtain the forms by visiting the Special Proceedings Division of your county court.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.