LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

i have a so who was born out of wedlock. it is my child and

i have a so who was born out of wedlock. it is my child and i pay $800 a month in child support. I have wanted my last name on the certificate from day one but she refuses. is there anything i can do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

While you may go to court and seek a Determination of Paternity, and thereafter seek an order that your name be added to the birth certificate---there is no law in the state of Arkansas that holds that the baby MUST use the father's last name as their last name. A child may also lawfully use the last name of the mother if the court does not order otherwise.

I wish you well.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation, nor was it what I sensed you were hoping to hear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug