LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

How do I transfer custody (I have residential/sole custody)

How do I transfer custody (I have residential/sole custody) to my 15 year daughter's father. He lives in New Orleans, LA. She does not want to go because the boys she has been sneaking out to meet live in WA . I cannot manage her. She is currently going through a trial (and in custody) for 2nd degree malicious mischief (she destroyed the interior of our home because her phone was taken away). She is in counseling and her father has agreed to continue care. His insurance pays for it. I am single, have two younger children, and am going to school to be a nurse in order to get a job (my teaching position was eliminated).
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma, as well as the atrocious behavior of your daughter.

The process is relatively simple if the father is in agreement to take primary custody of your daughter.

You will file a Motion for Modification of Custody with the court, have your ex join in the motion, and ask the court to Order that your ex be granted primary custody with you being granted visitation that the two of you agree to.

The court will not have a problem with that. In fact, technically, a court order is not even needed for you to send your daughter to live with him immediately if he will agree. The lack of a modification order would simply mean that the child support order would remain the same.

While a local family law attorney can do this for the both of you easily, if you need to do it yourself, you may find the forms you will need, includingt he form entitled Petition for Modification/ Adjustment of Custody Decree/ Parenting Plan/Residential Schedule at this link:

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.static&staticid=14

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I don't know whether my addition to the post made it to you.

Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answer. Until then your payment is simply held by JustAnswer.com and not shared with me. So, please click the ACCEPT icon if my Answer has been informative, and helpful to your understanding of the law. Thanks again.

Doug