Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

My husband owns a small business, our families only means of

My husband owns a small business, our families only means of support and our means for retirement when it is sold. There is only one employee besides my husband. He has always been more than fair to this employee, paid time off, comes and goes as she pleases in times such as moving, sick child, needing to do errands, etc. My husband tends to "shoot from the hip" when it comes to pay, this is the problem. He pays her $14,000 more than the "average pay" for her position. This is a job that pays on average, $26,262, per year and she is paid $40,000. As far as obligation to the future welfare of his family, is this a legal matter or just a matter of poor management?
Dear hckrich58 - If your husband owns the business then he can pay his employees whatever he chooses.There is no maximum wage law as there is for minimum wage so it is simply a personal decision. It may be mismanagement but that is not against any law. If you and he disagree as to how he operates the business that is no different than any other private marital dispute and the courts would not get involved.