ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law

8 years ago or so i had gotten into some trouble and went to

Cry8 years ago or so i had gotten into some trouble and went to jail,and had gotten my daughter taken from me, she was seven years old. do to bad sercumstances i was never able to get my daughter back, so there was an open adoption. My daughter is now 16 years old and i was wondering what would be the first step on locating her? and I had heard that in oregon that when a child turned 16 that they had some right to choose where they wanted to live is that true at all?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.

My name isXXXXX am an Attorney and would be glad to help

I am sorry to hear of your situation and wish you the best of luck in locating your daughter, Fortunately, it was an open adoption so you will be able to obtain the information you need much easier than in "closed" adoption cases.

1. If it was an agency that "took her away" as you said, then your first step is to contact that agency to find out if they handled the adoption, or if they engaged an adoption agency to locate adoptive parents. In either situation, you would ask the name, address, and other contact of the adoptive parents.

2. With respect to your second question of when, or what age a child is able to choose with whom they want to live, what you may have heard relates to custody situations, but even then, a child of any age cannot chose the parent with whom they want to live. In those casses, if the child is old enough and the Judge believes that the child is mature enough to express an opinion, the Judge will question the child in his chambers, and then he may take the child's opinion and preference into consideration when he is making his decision as to which parent should have custody, however, the final decision remains with the Judge.

In adoption cases, this issue does not arise because the adoptive parents are the child's legal parents for all intents and purposes because the Court severs all ties between the child and the biological mother.

I wish I could give you the answer you were hoping for and it would have given me great pleasure to do so, but I have an ethical obligation to give correct Answers, so please try not to hold the law applicable to your situation against me,

Even if you are on a subscription plan or have made a deposit to JustAnswer, you still need to click ACCEPT for my Answer(s) before I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you for your understanding

Please be kind enough to press "ACCEPT", otherwise I do not get paid anything at all

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are appreciated

ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience: 25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law