Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I have been divorced for 3 years and now my ex-wife is getting

I have been divorced for 3 years and now my ex-wife is getting remarried and she has threaten to take me back to court to raise child support, does her new husband's income affect how much child support I have to make?
Thank you for your question.

The answer is generally "no", the amount of support you have to pay is almost solely dependent on your wages and also on the wages of your spouse. His wages are not relevant to your possible obligation.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What if my ex-wife has a master's degree in accounting making $50,000 plus a year and quits her job because her new husband is a millionaire and she doesn't want to work any longer?
That does not change in any way your obligation toward the child, I am afraid. You still have to pay your own support even if the child will not want for anything based on the changed circumstances.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does the judge go by what I make a year? I bring home $2000.00 a month after taxes, what would my child support payments be? I don't claim any dependents.

Thank you for your follow-up.

The judge goes by your gross wages, not what you bring home, and also bases it on a percentage of custody. You can go to this link below where the Alabama child support guidelines are listed, and use that to calculate your own approximate obligation:

http://www.alacourt.gov/pdfppt/rule32.pdf

Good luck.