TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Does my ex-wife have a right to see everything included in

Does my ex-wife have a right to see everything included in our daughter's school or personal counselor's file? Even personal insights and concerns I have shared with the counselor? Is there any way to keep my correspondence and communications private
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Your ex has the right to view her child's file and records even if it contains information that you shared which you would not want your ex to see. The issue is that (1) a parent has the right to view her child's records in whole, and (2) you would not have had a reasonable expectation of privacy when sharing information with your daughter's counselor since he/she was not acting as your counselor.

I regret that my answer is generally unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response. With that in mind, I hope that you found value in my answer. If your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!