Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence

I am a US citizen and my child was born in Mexico. Can she

Customer Question

I am a US citizen and my child was born in Mexico. Can she become a US citizen, and if so, how?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 4 years ago.

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

She can and the exact manner depends on many things:

Steven Kincaid :

First, is her other parent a United States citizen?

Steven Kincaid :

Second, how long have you lived in the United States?

Steven Kincaid :

If you are both U.S. citizens or if you have lived in the U.S. during the required time periods, then your child would automatically be a United States citizen. If not, you would have to petition for your child to get a green card and then citizenship.

Her other parent is not a US citizen. Would I need to petiton my child? Is there anyway I can register her in the US even if she was born in Mexico?

Expert:  Steven K. replied 4 years ago.
When you accepted we lost the chat option, but we can continue in question and answer mode. Have you lived in the U.S. most of your life?
Expert:  Steven K. replied 4 years ago.
If you are the father, your child will automatically be a United States citizen only if:

1) Your paternity has been established
2) You must have been physically present in the US for at least 5 years, 2 after the age of 14.

You can work with the embassy in Mexico to establish cigtizenship at birtth, or if your child has already been born, you can apply for a passport (you will need the other parent's permission to do this). If you cannot get the other parents permission, you need to file a form N-600 to get Certificate of Citizenship. I suggest you do not do this unless necessary because it is far more expensive.

If these things are not so, your child is not automatically a U.S. citizen at birth and you will still have to petition for your child.