Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator

My girlfriend is in the middle of custory case. I paid the

My girlfriend is in the middle of custory case. I paid the legal fees, but am concerned about the expertise of the lawyer. do i have standing as a party in interest to appear and ask my own questions at trial?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

From a legal perspective, you have no standing to permit you to participate in the litigation. While either party might call you as a witness at trial, you do not have the legal ability to file pleadings or to otherwise actively participate in the case, this would include appearing in court and asking your own questions.

For what it's worth, you might consider meeting with your girlfriend's attorney in advance. You could express your concerns and the two of you could discuss how your testimony should proceed.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.