Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I filed a contempt petition against my ex husband for several

I filed a contempt petition against my ex husband for several violations of multiple court orders. We have a short list hearing tomorrow. I found out today that his attorney is no longer representing him but she previously did inform him of the court hearing tomorrow. Any idea what happens if he doesn't show up or if he shows up without an attorney?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

If he doesn't show up, the court can do a few things. The court can find him guilty of contempt and issue a bench warrant for him since he didn't show up. He would then be arrested and held until the court could schedule a new hearing on this matter.

Or, the court could continue the hearing and have him served with a subpoena to appear.

My guess is that the court will find him in contempt and issue a warrant for his arrest.

Also, if he does appear without an attorney, the hearing will proceed as scheduled and he'll be required to represent and defend himself.

It is possible that the judge would continue the case if he asked for time to get an attorney, but this is not guaranteed.