AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

can I go back to court to request child support 4 years after

can I go back to court to request child support 4 years after divorce settlement
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I've spent the last several minutes reviewing and researching your question. As you review this answer, please keep in mind that I only get credit for answering your question if you click Accept, so I'd be grateful if you'd do so. You'll still be able to ask follow-up questions using the Reply feature.

While spousal support is waived if it's not sought during a divorce, child support doesn't work like that. Child support cannot be waived, as that would be contrary to public policy. Even if a parent hasn't previously sought child support, a parent may do so at any time.
New Hampshire's Division of Child Support Services can assist a parent directly with establishing a child support order and, after the order is established, with enforcing the order. DCSS charges only $25 per year, and that sum is not charged until at least $500 in support has been collected from the other parent. Further, that sum is not charged if a custodial parent is receiving public assistance.

New Hampshire's Division of Child Support Services

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I don't get any credit for my time and effort spent answering your question unless you click Accept.

Please use Reply to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!