legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years

I have a 15 yr old who is being accused of taking something

I have a 15 yr old who is being accused of taking something that was lost. Based on a video it is not seen where he takes anything but it does show that he has something similar to what was lost but it belongs to him. Now the childs mom want to file a report. Can I hire an attorney to prove my sons innocence and what can I do for false accusations?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for contacting with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

Yes you can hire an attorney to defend you son against any criminal or civil law suits. The false accusation may not have a remedy. If the person who made the allegation believes it is true and is not making the statement maliciously or knowing it was false, then you have no remedy. but if they made the allegation knowing it was false you could sue in civil court for damages due to the defamation of character.