JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

How does one go about getting a custody agreement in place

Customer Question

How does one go about getting a custody agreement in place without an attorney? In Wisconsin?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 years ago.
This is a pretty general question. Can you be a little more specific? Also, have there been any court actions at all yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No court actions yet. My sister cannot afford an attorney nor will she accept my financial help. She wants to make sure there is a custody agreement in place before she files for child support.. Which leads to the second part of my question. Does she file for child support at the department of children and families?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 years ago.
She will need to file for paternity, custody, and child support at the same time. She can ask the WI Dept of Children and Families to help her get the child support set up, their website is at http://dcf.wi.gov/bcs/parents.htm

If she is trying to head off having the father ask for visitation or custody and then ask for child support it doesn't work that way.

Also, the state department is usually not willing to get involved in a custody dispute so if it comes to that they will tell her to get her own attorney for that or represent herself, they usually just handle getting child support. They'll help if it is not contested, but if they start to fight they can't help.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think you misunderstood. My sister wants joint custody. She has no desire to keep her husband from the girls in fact she is encouraging the opposite. She wants her girls to remain in their home during the week so that their schedules and home environment is not interrupted. She is welcoming her husband to come see the kids in the morning when he can as well as any night he wants. She just wants them to sleep in their own beds. She also is encouraging him to take every other weekend. The reason she wants this schedule in place is because she feels he will challenge it when he becomes aware how much child support he actually has to pay. He has offered approximately 300$ a month but takes home approximately 2800. Their mortgage payment is 1200$ a month. My sister cuts hair and works 3 days a week.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 years ago.
I did misunderstand the situation, but it still doesn't change the procedures that you go through. The court is going to want to address custody, visitation, and child support all at the same time, not piecemeal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. So who can she seek out for advice without a lawyer?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 years ago.
No one can give her advice except an attorney. However, if she wants to file on her own she can get the forms at this site

Wisconsin also has a pretty good self help section for their courts at http://www.wicourts.gov/services/public/selfhelp/index.htm

It explains a lot about what to do and how to file.