legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years

My husband and I are taking in my 15 yr old nephew in KY.

Customer Question

My husband and I are taking in my 15 yr old nephew in KY. My husband can't get him added to the health insurance plan because company policy requires proof of legal guardianship or custody. We are doing my sister in OH a favor because she is so financially strapped. We just want to know what would be the least complicated/expensive way to get him health insurance coverage. What is your advice?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for contacting with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

Guardianship is the easiest and fastest solution. You get an affidavit from the mother stating her wish for you to be the guardians then you get a motion from the local family law court to petition for guardianship and attach it to your motion then appear at a hearing, the mother should attend, and the court will issue the guardianship order.