How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask legaleagle Your Own Question

legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters father was granted earlier this year two 2 weeks

Resolved Question:

My daughter's father was granted earlier this year two 2 weeks summer, 1 week winter, and spring break visits in addition to the regular schedule. She just turned 10 yrs old. To give a brief history, ever since her father remarried a few years ago, my daughter has been witness to several heated arguments between her dad and stepmom, with pushing, screaming, hitting, and throwing objects. When it first became an issue a few years ago, I tried to address it with him but he told me it was none of my business (not that kindly). My daughter later said that she got in trouble with him because she had told me about what transpired when he told her not to tell me anything. She asked me not to mention anything to him again because her visits were made even more miserable if I ever said anything to him. I agreed, but now I have learned that was a huge mistake on my part. Since this extra visitation time was granted, her exposure to these fights have increased and her stepmom has now resorted to including my daughter in the arguments by yelling and making derogatory statements to her. During her first 2-week summer visit with her dad, yet another argument took place with the police being called for domestic violence. He was not arrested, however, and allowed to leave the residence with our daughter. They both stayed the remainder of the week at his mother's. The second 2-week summer visit was okay because he still had not returned to his wife's house and instead stayed with our daughter at his mother's house. He was back, however, by the winter week visit which sadly began with yet another argument which included her stepmom hitting her dad, screaming at my daughter followed by giving her the middle finger. As a result, her dad sent our daughter to stay with relatives the rest of the week only to pick her up when it was time to drop her off back with me. My daughter said she cannot take their fighting anymore and does not want to go for the longer visits anymore. I petitioned the court to change the visitation back the way it was, and we were sent to mediation in which her father denied ALL of our daughter's claims and said she was only saying those things for attention and that I was lying because I was just angry with him. To my surprise, the mediator sided with her father saying that if it was such an important issue then I would have said something about it sooner and the fact that I would believe a 10-year-old's account over an adult was ridiculous. I had proof that he had already been arrested once for domestic violence for allegedly burning his wife with a clothes iron, but the mediator did not want to hear any of it because it was not recent enough. I had tried to get a copy of the incident report from the police for the one police-involved event that my daughter was witness to but was told that because it did in fact contain domestic violence, I could not receive it, only the victim and parties involved were allowed to have it. Because of that, the mediator didn't want to hear about that either. Now we have court tomorrow to talk to the Judge who will have the mediator's recommendation to not change the current schedule. I know that it's more likely than not that the Judge will agree with the mediator. I guess my question is what can I do from here on out to help my daughter? If they won't take my daughter's accounts into consideration and they won't consider his past arrest history and I can't get copies of incident reports when police are called to their home, what else can I do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for contacting with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.


See if the judge will allow your daughter to testify, get a subpoena to force the grandparents and other relatives to testify that your daughter had to stay with them due to the fights in the house, or see if the judge will allow you to have a counselor speak with your daughter and allow the counselor to give their advice to the judge to contradict the mediator.

legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience: Practicing attorney for 10 years
legaleagle and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: