Floridalegalanswer
Floridalegalanswer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney licensed in Florida capable of answering your legal questions in the area of Florida Family Law
12212663

What paperwork is needed to sign over custody rights to the other parent to join the milit

What paperwork is needed to sign over custody rights to the other parent to join the military?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Floridalegalanswer replied 2 years ago.

Floridalegalanswer :

Hi there!

Customer:

Hello

Floridalegalanswer :

The Military usually has their own paperwork. Who is signing the child over Mother to Father or Father to Mother?

Customer:

Mother to Father

Floridalegalanswer :

And are they married? or has Paternity been Established?

Customer:

divorced with established paternity

Floridalegalanswer :

Gotcha. Is there a current Order in effect from the Divorce regarding the custody rights?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

it is 50-50 on placement and custody

Customer:

the father has agreed to take over 100% of both so I can join the military

Floridalegalanswer :

Okay. Then you would draft the new agreement with the new terms and file it with the Court. It may be titled something similar to "Consent Order Modifying Custody" or something similar. Then you can have the Agreement adopted by the Court by having the Judge sign it.

Customer:

So I would get that from the court, fill it out have it signed and turn it back into the court?

Floridalegalanswer :

A good place to start is by contacting the Clerk of Court at the Courthouse. If the case is closed, then you may have to re-open the case and pay a fee.

Customer:

typically would there be a need to have a hearing over it, or would paperwork with both parties agreeing be sufficient

Floridalegalanswer :

Many times, they have the forms available that you would need to fill out and file. Ask them what form you need to Modify custody and tell them the parties agree (if both parties agree)

Floridalegalanswer :

When both Parties agree, sometimes you can do it without a hearing, or it may require a usually short 10 minute hearing or so.

Floridalegalanswer :

When the Parties do not agree...then there might be lengthy proceedings.

Customer:

Ok

Floridalegalanswer :

It depends on each particular Court (and sometimes Judge by Judge)

Floridalegalanswer :

Where I practice, some Judges require a short hearing and other Judge's will just sign it when both parents agree (usually notarized agreement is better)

Customer:

Ok that's what I thought

Floridalegalanswer :

Okay. Let me know if you have further questions.

Floridalegalanswer :

Otherwise, if I have answered your question, please ACCEPT my answer.

Floridalegalanswer :

Thank you and Good Luck!

Customer:

Ok thank you!

Floridalegalanswer, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I am an attorney licensed in Florida capable of answering your legal questions in the area of Florida Family Law