LegalPro, Lawyer
Experience:  33 years experience in domestic relations and family law practice.

Domestic violence victim. husband and sister-in-law abusing

Domestic violence victim. husband and sister-in-law abusing me.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalPro replied 4 years ago.
Please provide more details including the state in which you reside.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I live in Bay Area California.
Expert:  LegalPro replied 4 years ago.
Domestic violence should not be tolerated. It is criminal in nature and may invoke serious criminal penalties. It should be reported to authorities who may help you. California produces a list of domestic violence helpline numbers for various locations within the state:
California has also produced a very informative webpage dedicated to domestic violence which appears comprehensive and provides information on various issues:
You may also report the occurrence of domestic violence directly to local police. An attorney may be of great assistance to you as a domestic (divorce) case could result from the DV occurrence and your rights should be protected.
Here I have provided a link to the bar association in your area's lawyer referral service under family law attorneys:
The website for Legal Aid in your area is
Above all, protect yourself and use all legal and common sense measures to keep safe.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the info. I am not a US citizen and I am working here on H1 visa. Also, the abuse is more of verbala and lightly physical like pushing, shoving and threatening. If I call cops, do I have to show evidence that my husband, his sister and her husband are all involved? I don't know how?
Expert:  LegalPro replied 4 years ago.
You don't have to call the cops although that is an option. The main concern is your safety and protection and arranging so that the abuse will not continue or worsen. You may start by calling an appropriate helpline number from the website I gave you and discussing the matter. You may receive good advice as to how to proceed from here.