How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33648
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I request/order a vocational evaluation on my ex-wife?

Resolved Question:

How do I request/order a vocational evaluation on my ex-wife? She has an MBA, and has claimed aprox $15,000 on her 2011 tax returns. She has our 12 year old daughter, and I have our autistic 14 year old son and a full time job that grosses about $110,000. And in California, that does not go far, especially with my added costs of care for my son. She claims that she cannot find work in Los Angeles other than substitute teaching and some 'occasional under-the-table business consulting' that gives her a total, according to her, about $48,000. She claims she has tried to get regular work, and says "bring it on, I have nothing to lose" when I have told her that she should have a full time job like me and I want to do a vocational evaluation so that she contributes fairly to the kid's welfare. She has never shared in medical costs established by the MSA, and I feel trampled by her life choices that don't seem to be in synch with taking care of our minor children. I'd like to be able to start this process improper, but I'm not sure how to do this and if it is worth going after her ability to earn vs what she says she can earn. I feel I am the only one doing the best thing for the kids at this point. Thanks.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 4 years ago.

RayAnswers : Thanks for your question and good afternoon.Are you paying her child and spousal support and how much here?
JACUSTOMER-uaa427mp- :

At the moment, no child support because our daughter has JUST moved this weekend to try living with her. I'm assuming I will be paying her according to dissomaster info, and I'm happy to. I just want to make sure she is somehow held accountable according to her ability and obligation

RayAnswers : Well if you have one child apiece here maybe no support is ordered.You could argue the expenses offset.And you can also argue that she is intentionally under emmployed.If she files for child support you want to subpoena not only the tax returns here but her checking accounts.You certainly can argue for deviation here even with dissomaster as you have some good and really case unique facts to support lesser or no support.
RayAnswers : If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break. Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated. ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬---------------------------------------------------------------------Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
JACUSTOMER-uaa427mp- :

I still have don't know how to request/order a vocational evaluation...

RayAnswers : You would hand draft such a motion to the judge if she files for child support for the child.You can ask court to infer what she would make working full time.
RayAnswers : Judge can issue orders here.
RayAnswers : Earning capacity orders. A court usually bases a child support order on the parents’ actual income. Income from all sources (including overtime, bonuses, rental income, investment income, etc.) is considered. If a parent is unemployed or under-employed (below 40 hours per week), a court can base a child support order on a parent’s earning capacity. The court then considers what a parent is capable of earning. The court must find that a parent has an opportunity and ability to work before it can "impute" an earning capacity to a parent. Either a custodial parent or a non-custodial parent can be imputed an earning capacity in calculating guideline child support.
JACUSTOMER-uaa427mp- :

So there is no form to fill out for request of vocational evaluation that I file with the court? Just 'hand draft such a motion to the judge'?

RayAnswers : There is not premade form.You would draft such a motion yourself using case number, names, court etc at top and titling it Motion to Request Vocational Evaluation and Impute Income--and set out that you feel she is intentionally underemployed and may be under reporting income here as well.And file it with the court and ask for a hearing.
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33648
Experience: 29 years as a family law lawyer .
RayAnswers and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: