smithlaw1177
smithlaw1177, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Our firm handles all kinds of family law issues including child custody, child support, divorce, and mediating family issues.
65026092

My husband is behind on his alimony and his ex-wife is taking

My husband is behind on his alimony and his ex-wife is taking him to court to get a judgement for the back alimony. I owned our home before we were married and it is in my name only. Will she be able to lein my assets since we are now married?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  smithlaw1177 replied 5 years ago.

smithlaw1177 :

Hello I believe I can help you with this question.

smithlaw1177 :

What state are you guys in?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You said you could help me with this question, but there was nothing there. Are you going to give me an answer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My husband and I live in Utah. My husband and his ex-wife lived in California. I purchased my home in 2000 in my name only. 4 years later I married my husband in Utah. His divorce took place in California.
I have a case right now with this same issue. She CAN NOT attach your property so long as it is in your name. If you and your husband were to divorce, then the property would be considered marital property and he would be entitled to half of the equity; however, in this instance she would not be able to attach any liens to your property.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much. You have no idea what a relief it is to hear that.
Just as a disclaimer of course, my Jurisdiction is not in Utah. Most attorney's give a free consultation and would be glad to look at your case for free. Go to an attorney out there and I promise you will feel even better. Thanks so much. have a great day!