Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I received a summons to appear in court. My ex husband wants

I received a summons to appear in court. My ex husband wants to formally stop child support, even though it is not necessary to go this route. My youngest just turned 21 and leaving for the Marines. I am not arguing or disputing. Do I need to appear. The summons says at the bottom, if I do not "...a warrant may be issued for your arrest." which looks fairly standard.

Individuals in your situation who do not oppose the other party's pleading then simply do not answer the suit and so not show and then the husband would win by default. While the warning is indeed added, this is more for parties who need to show such as fathers who have to provide information for child support, or a temporary restraining order, etc.

It is very, very unlikely that the Court would order a warrant for your arrest and instead is likely to simply grant him the pleading in default.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.