Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

ok my son is 16 his dad just passed away and the life insurance

ok my son is 16 his dad just passed away and the life insurance company is asking me to prove legal guardianship i have a birth certificate with my name as his mother what else can i use without having to spend 300 to 400 dollars to go in front of a judge
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid that you are going to have to be declared guardian over the property of a minor, which is more than just being his parent and legal guardian, this is a specific court process that grants you guardianship over his property AND it places you as a "trustee" over that property. What this means is that if you mismanage the property or use it other than for his direct needs, you can be held liable for violating your duty (this is over and above that as just a parent). The insurance company can require a court declaration of guardianship for financial and property purposes to release the money to you and if you do not provide it they will hold the money for your son until he turns 18.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so i am the beneficiary on the life insurance policy but i am now divorced and in the divorce degree it states that the insurance policy should stay as it is under its current terms for the care of the minor children doesn't the insurance company have to keep me as the beneficary instead of the minor i am suppose to use the money to care for the minor that his dad has passed away
Yes, the insurance company should be honoring the terms of the divorce decree and if you have submitted that order to the insurance company and they still will not release it to you, then you have to go to the court to get them to issue a new specific order to the insurance company. This is a different situation than if the minor were named as the beneficiary.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.