Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

Customer Question

At what point is a girlfriend no longer considered a paramore in new York? I was told that could not exercise my visitation time with my kids in the presents of a paramore. We have been together for 10 months.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Courts usually use the ordinary meaning of words when interpreting provisions or instructing parties.

From an on-line dictionary, the word paramour is defined as:

1. A lover, of either sex; a wooer or a mistress (formerly in a good sense, now only in a bad one); one who takes the place, without possessing the rights, of a husband or wife; -- used of a man or a woman.

Here is a link to the definition:

Therefore, if an individual does not fit this description, then you would not typically be violating the instructions you have been given with regard to visitation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.