How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and his girlfriend are denying me access to my 3 grandchildren.

Customer Question

My son and his girlfriend are denying me access to my 3 grandchildren. They live in Colorado, I live in Indiana. First they invite me to come visit, then they revoke the offer stating, "I don't want my children calling a stanger grandma." They have went as far as to call the police when I have attempted contact with my grandchildren.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

WebLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

WebLaw :

Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

WebLaw :

Unfortunately, if both parents choose to deny visitation to a grandparent, the court cannot award grandparent visitation over the parents' objection. The US Supreme Court held that parents "have a fundamental right to make decisions concerning the care, custody and control" of their children".

Grandparents may obtain visitation rights if the grandparents child is unavailable for visitation or custody of this child. For example in a situation where the child's parents are separated or divorced and not able to exercise parenting time or if one parent is deceased, has relinquished his parental rights or had parental rights terminated.

In a situation where both parents agree that they do not want a child to see the grandparents, there is little that the grandparents can legally do.

So sorry.

Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions