AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
10805288

My mother has a sister living in CT who has not listed her

My mother has a sister living in CT who has not listed her as next of kin. She is ill and may or may ot have a will. Who do we notify that Patricia has a living next of kin?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 4 years ago.

AlexiaEsq. :

*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.

AlexiaEsq. :

Hi, Are you wanting Patricia to list your mom as her sister/kin on some document? How is this arising? What is going on?

Customer:

Patricia is metally ill, we are hearing from former friends of the family that she is quite ill and living alone. She inherited some money upon her mothers' death, but is hiding it so that she can stay in rent controlled housing, receive food stamps etc. My mother is not interested in the money. She wants to offer assistance to her sister, and if that is not possible, she at least wants to be notified should anything happen to Patti, especially in the event of her death as she has no one else.

Customer:

Patricia's "real " name is XXXXX XXXXX she changed it to "Johness" although I don't believe that is how she spells it.

AlexiaEsq. :

Hi, I am going to switch us to Q&A so I can better address each concern in order.

OK,

Patricia is metally ill, we are hearing from former friends of the family that she is quite ill and living alone. OK. She inherited some money upon her mothers' death, but is hiding it so that she can stay in rent controlled housing, receive food stamps etc. OK, so you believe she is committing fraud.

My mother is not interested in the money. She wants to offer assistance to her sister, and if that is not possible, she at least wants to be notified should anything happen to Patti, especially in the event of her death as she has no one else. Has your mother simply called Patricia and gone to visit her? In what way does she seek to help? If Patricia is still living on her own, then it would appear that she has not been adjudicated mentally incapacitated. Your mother could call CT social services and let them know that there is an elderly woman, her sister, living at XXX, who she believes is in need of assistance because she is unable to properly care for herself - even the police at times will perform a "welfare" check on people when requested by concerned family members that live far away - when the older person is not answering the phone.

So long as your aunt is not found mentally incapacitated, she is not required to even acknowledge your mother or do anything. She can not be forced to put your mom down as POA or DPOA, or even someone to contact in the case of emergency. However, she can CHOOSE to. So the best bet may be for your mom to take the time to warm her up and get her to trust her and let her into her world. If her sister is incompetent and unable to care for herself, your mom can petition the court for conservatorship over body and finances - and that will allow her to make decisions on behalf of her sister.

Let me know if you need any clarification on the above.

I hope this helps clarify for you.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.