Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  30+ years family law experience. QDROs, UIFSA, UCCJEA expertise.

I came across the following blurb and its a little confusing.

I came across the following blurb and it's a little confusing. A court can require counseling, but is that just up to the judge's discretion or is it something that can be requested?

"When parents with minor children (under 18) separate, even absent divorce, Oklahoma law allows courts to require counseling. "

Read more: Legal Separation in Oklahoma |
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawrence D. Gorin replied 4 years ago.
In the court's discretion, counseling can be ordered by the judge on the judge's own motion OR upon the request (or motion) of either parent. Nothing prevents a parent from requesting the judge to order counsel, but the final decision is up to the judge.

If your question has been satisfactorily answered, please acknowledge by clicking the green “ACCEPT” button in the upper right hand corner of your screen. That’s the only way I can receive compensation for answering your question(s). Also, PLEASE BE SURE TO LEAVE A FEW WORDS OF FEEDBACK. And I thank you in advance.