Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Hi, what can you tell me about a seemingly perfect but to me,

Customer Question

Hi, what can you tell me about a seemingly perfect but to me, an over zealous police chief in a very small rural town, with a history of working in New Orleans and even in Iraq for
Blackwater, who seems to have it in for my twelve year old daughter? The girls have been on and off again frienimies since the 1st grade when that damn hurricane katrina brought that family here, his daughter is no angel, but they are both normal little hormonal girls just learning and living life. He has and does have a few other minors that he dislikes that I have heard of. He is great at gossiping and spreading stuff to the parents of my daughter's friends, some of whom his perfect daughter are both friends with. This guy is making our lives miserable, not only does he live two houses down, he gives my oldest (12 yr) daughter stare downs and follows her around at basketball games just as an example. I have attempted to speak with him and his wife as parents but to no avail. He seems to have "marked" my daughter to become someone awful. How do I handle this? It is truly becoming a huge stress to our family and is just emotionally exhausting. I am so afraid that she will be affected by this stigmatization emotionally for life. I have never in my life heard of such behavior by an officer of the law. I have also witnessed him completely ignoring my 12 and 5 year old daughters at the crosswalk. He even hugs ALOT of children in the crosswalk, especially girls. OMG what on earth can we do to keep this creep at bay? We are hoping they will move eventually, but at this juncture, I'm ready to relocate to protect my children. He doesn't care for me because I have called him out on his BS. Ok..any advice? Many thanks and kindest regards XXXXX XXXXX in Kansas.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  smithlaw1177 replied 2 years ago.

smithlaw1177 :

Hello I hope I cn help you with your problem Please confirm the jurisdiction please.

Customer :

Hi, do you mean Andale in Sedgwick County Kansas?

smithlaw1177 :

Yes. I am really sorry to hear about your issues. I too am in a small town and I can undertsand how something like this can go on. Here are some suggestions: You may want to contact the mayors office in your towna dn file a complaint. The mayor and the city counsel are his direct supervisors. You have to understand that this man works for you indirectly! It becomes a little difficult with police officers because there is always that fear for retribution. However, you are proctected from the chief using malicious conduct to hurt your family in any way (whether physical or legally).

smithlaw1177 :

I would hate for you to have to move because of the actions of another person but it would be a smart thing to do if the actions continue after you file a complaint. Keep the city officials informed of the chiefs conduct and worse case scenario you just need to get out of that small town!

smithlaw1177 :

If at anytime you feel that I have adequately provided you with an answer to your question, then if you would please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my work that would be very much appreciated. Also, bonuses are optional, and are certainly not required, but very much appreciated. Remember, clicking the accept button does not prevent you from asking further questions on this post, and will not preclude me from continuing to answer your questions and provide you with research. There is no Attorney-Client relationship created by our communications and the advice and information that I provide is merely for informational purposes. The advice that I provide is not to be taken over the advice of a competent attorney within your jurisdiction.

Customer :

What about the fact that some of the community leaders are likely to name names etc. just like some police are known to do when not appropriate. He is in the church here where they are prodominately Catholic. Would it ever be ok to contact the sheriff and or get some type of restraining order? Many thanks for your answers

smithlaw1177 :

No the sheriff would NOT have jurisdiction over him.

smithlaw1177 :

If you are concerned that a police officer may be doing anything illegal you need to contact the state's bureau of investigation. In your case KBI. Good Luck.

Customer :

Sorry, but more, how do I find out the process of keeping the chief of police position? He was voted in a year ago

smithlaw1177 :

The city clerk can answer that question every town is different. Most are hired not voted in. The clerk can give you a list of qualifications and how long the term is.

Customer :

last fall by the mayor and council, but only won by one vote. Does he just get to keep this position indefinately or is there some sort of re-election process? I have checked the city's website and there is no info about it. The last chief was here for several years until he retired. This chief in question, however, does do alot more to keep the town patrolled, etc. but he is a creepy and pretty unlikeable person who likes to hug little girls, even jr high age. I think this is totally innapropriate and several families, especially fathers, are not happy with these interactions. I don't know, I guess I will try to contact the mayor either by mail or email because I have an anxiety disorder that often prevents me from handling matters like I used to before. I know there are several other police in town that treat all citizens equally as possible, considering that some of them grew up around here or even live here. I think this guy is over the top and perhaps bored...but if someone upsets his daughter, then he has it out for that person. It's truly sickening and scary. I do not have faith that he would protect my daughters or family like he might someone else..it is just overwhelming to me. I would like to file some sort of restraining order or complaint of harassment so that he can not go around intimidating my 12 year old daughter, who by the way has alot of friends and has never been in trouble before. He seems like the "bad" type cop to me and several parents whom I have spoken with. He gives the jr high girls the creeps and tries to buy friends for his daughter, who is so much like her "perfect" parents that it would make anyone sick! I don't want to go complain to someone, only to have it blow up in my face, because of the small town politics and bullshit...I wish I could confide to an outsider who could approach the situation without naming names. This is one guy that I don't want to dislike us anymore than he already does. It's just a terribly uncomfortable situation and I am at my wits end. I don't keep documentation of all the things he has done because I always think it will eventually stop. So, it would be my word against his and I'm just a normal law abiding citizen watching out for my family, where as, he is this self proclaimed great guy who definately has skills to deceive people and manipulate the system. He even goes to the school daily and will stare at my daughter in the lunch room and a few others. Seriously, this is freaking crazy! She has never done anything to deserve this! She is just an awkward hormonal preteen. These kids can work through alot without parental intervention, especially because there is no bullying or anything like that involved. I am so sorry but I just need more info..someone to give me ideas on how to say and what to say to his so called superiors. Again, thanks for any help that you can give. Kindest regards

smithlaw1177 :

Please allow me to opt out I do not know what more I can tell you

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Your previous expert was correct as to the information he provided you. The chief serves at the pleasure of the mayor and with the approval of the council. Thus, you have to file all complaints with them. He gets to remain in place until the mayor and council refuse to renew his contract. Typically, as long as the mayor is in office, unless the chief does something to warrant termination of the contract, the chief will stay for as long as the mayor wants. You have to file your complaint, even if you do it in writing anonymously, to the mayor and city council and send a copy to the local newspaper as well, so the mayor and council will know they have to do something to address your complaint.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”