Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
22589080

My husband wants to adopt my daughter who just turned 29, is

My husband wants to adopt my daughter who just turned 29, is not married and lives in Russia. What is the procedure?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello! I can try and assist you with this matter.

meigs004 :

What state do you currently reside in.

Customer:

Missouri

meigs004 :

Is your daughter willing to be adopted by your husband?

Customer:

Yes.

meigs004 :

I can research the adoption procedures for international individuals. Allow me to post my standard blurb about accepting answers here on JA and I will address your question specifically.

meigs004 :

If at anytime you feel that I have adequately provided you with an answer to your question, then if you would please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my work that would be very much appreciated. Also, bonuses are optional, and are certainly not required, but very much appreciated. Remember, clicking the accept button does not prevent you from asking further questions on this post, and will not preclude me from continuing to answer your questions and provide you with research.

Customer:

okay, I'll be waiting for the results of your research.

meigs004 :

Ok. please wait patiently while i find the process of adoption. Also, is your daughter a U.S. citizen?

Customer:

No, she is a Russian citizen and lives in Russia.

meigs004 :

Ok. Thank you. Hold on for a moment while i find the pertinent information for this process.

meigs004 :

One more question to aid me in finding the process. Is your husband looking to just adopt your daughter, or is your daughter looking to come to the US also. This is relevant for visa purposes.

Customer:

He wants to adopt her and live with us in Missouri whenever it becomes possible. Her stepfather died three years ago who was like a father to her. Otherwise, she never had a father, I was a single mother.

meigs004 :

Ok. Here is what i found on the process of adopting an international individual, specifically a russian.

meigs004 :

Russia Adoption Process

• Submit a preliminary application to Russia adoption agency, accredited by Russia government

• Complete home study, USCIS paperwork, and prepare your dossier

• Agency sends dossier to Russia

• Translation and authentication of dossier

• Submiting dossier to the Ministry of Education - adoption authority in Russia

• Approval of the Ministry of Education

• First trip to Russia to meet the pre-selected child.

• After meeting and establishing contact child's documents are prepared by The Ministry of Education and submitted to the court.

• Applying for court date

• Second trip to Russia to attend the court hearing

• Obtain the adoption certificate and a new birth certificate (showing the child's new name, and the adoptive parents as the parents) from the ZAGS (Vital Records Office)

• Obtain the passport for the child from the OVIR (visa and registration department)

• Contact the Embassy to make an appointment to apply for the immigrant visa to the United States

• Registration of adopted child with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russian Federation

• bring your child home

meigs004 :

Here is a list of accredited russian adoption agencies.

meigs004 :

USA Adoption Agencies

Russian Adoption Agencyaccredited by Russia till
Adopt a ChildJune 27, 2008
ABC Adoption Services Inc.May 17, 2006
Cradle of Hope Adoption CenterJune 27, 2008
Frank Adoption CenterJune 27, 2008
International Assistance GroupJune 27, 2008
Children's Hope InternationalMay 17, 2006
Family and Children's AgencyJune 27, 2008
Small World Adoption FoundationMay 17, 2006
WACAP (World Association for Children and Parents)May 17, 2006
Adoptions Together, Inc.May 17, 2006
European Adoption ConsultantsJune 27, 2008
Maine Adoption Placement ServiceMay 17, 2006
Beacon House Adoption ServicesMay 17, 2006
Children's Home Society and Family ServicesJune 27, 2008
Christian World AdoptionMay 17, 2006
Dove Adoptions InternationalMay 17, 2006
Homestudies and Adoption Placement ServicesMay 17, 2006
Nightlight Christian AdoptionsMay 17, 2006
Florence Crittenton LeaqueMay 17, 2006
Buckner Adoption and Maternity Services, Inc.May 17, 2006
Happy Families International Center, Inc.May 17, 2006
International Christian Adoptions, Inc.May 17, 2006
Commonwealth Adoption International June 9, 2006
Life Adoption ServicesJune 9, 2006
The Gladnхy Center for AdoptionJune 9, 2006
Creative Adoptions, Inc.June 9, 2006
Catholic Social Services of the Diocese of Charlotte, North Carolina, Inc.June 27, 2008
Cradle SocietyJune 27, 2008
Gift of Life adoption ServicesJuly 19, 2008
The World Child International CorporationJanuary 25, 2007
Wyoming Children's SocietyJuly 19, 2008
Hand in HandJanuary 25, 2007
Families Thru International AdoptionJanuary 25, 2007
Alaska international adoption agency, ltd.March 1, 2007
Adoption Associates, Inc.July 19, 2008
Lutheran social services of Wisconsin and upper Michigan, IncMarch 1, 2007
Wide Horizons for Children, Inc.March 1, 2007
The Adoption Center of WashingtonMarch 1, 2007
New Hope Christian ServicesMarch 1, 2007
Adoption Placement, Inc.March 1, 2007

meigs004 :

Does this help?

Customer:

Can you please email me all this? And she is an adult, not a child. Is there any difference with the procedures?

meigs004 :

I do not believe there is a difference but the listed adoption agencies will definitely provide you with the procedures if there is a difference.

meigs004 :

I am not allowed to email from my personal email to customers I interact with on JA but if you can copy and paste this information into an email and send it to yourself.

meigs004 :

Sorry! I wish i could help you out.

meigs004 :

I hope this information is helpful. It is a very unique situation you have!

Customer:

Yes it is. Thank you.

meigs004 :

Your very welcome, if you are satisfied would you please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my research and work.

meigs004 :

I wish you the best of luck! Clicking the accept button will not prevent you from asking further questions on this post.

meigs004 :

Is there anything else that I can help you find tonight?

Customer:

I think that will be all. I believe I have clicked the accept button.

meigs004 :

I dont believe you have, because this chat will end when you do.

meigs004 :

When you click the accept buttonit will end this chat and ask you to leave feedback for the services that you have recieved.

Customer:

I am trying to save it before. I have clicked the accept button and then "cancel" because I was afraid to lose it. I was not able to email it to myself.

meigs004 :

Ok sorry for bothering you. I just wanted to make sure you knew the procedure for accepting answers, and see if you had any questions left. Thanks so much for your question and future accept. Good Luck!

Customer:

I just got an emali from JA that my deposit had been received. Hope it is reflected in your records. Thank you again. I finally managed to email your information to myself. But I noticed that you did not give me the names of Russian Adoption Agencies. And the licences of the American ones had been expired. I also was not able to get to any of their websites

meigs004 : I saw that as well but im sure these agencies have renewed or if you contact them they can provide you with contact numbers for officials who can help you. It is not showing an accept on my end. Your deposit has been recieved and the accept should debit this amount from your deposit. If you would please try again so that I may be compensated!
Customer:

Of course and thank you again.

Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.