Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
22589080

CH hs

Customer Question

I live in new York and my mother receives child support and I have never seen any of it is there a away I can get it switched to me if I am over 18 which I am 19 now
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello! I can definitely help you with this question.

meigs004 :

Allow me to post my standard blurb about accepting answers here on JA. I will then address your situation specifically. Please read carefully.

meigs004 :

If at anytime you feel that I have adequately provided you with an answer to your question, then if you would please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my work that would be very much appreciated. Also, bonuses are optional, and are certainly not required, but very much appreciated. Remember, clicking the accept button does not prevent you from asking further questions on this post, and will not preclude me from continuing to answer your questions and provide you with research.

meigs004 :

Do you currently have custody of your child?

JACUSTOMER-5zm7j3ug- : I'm not the parent I am the child
meigs004 :

Ok I see. You are trying to retain some of the child support that your mother gets from your father?

JACUSTOMER-5zm7j3ug- : I am not the parent I am the child
meigs004 :

How much a month does your mother recieve.

JACUSTOMER-5zm7j3ug- : Correct
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

Ok I understand your situation now. Unfortunately child support is meant for the custodial parent to take care of the minor child. Absent some agreement to the contrary, the parent is to use the support as income, and provide for the child accordingly. The child support may be for your benefit, but there is not a way for you to get the money specifically without an agreement stating that you are entitled to it.