RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

i was awarded 800 monthy of alimony in the divorce decree.

i was awarded 800 monthy of alimony in the divorce decree. Ex spouse refuses to pay, states it is not legal. Its been 10 month without payment. If in final divorce decree...doesnt it have to be paid?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.Your remedy here is to file a motion for contempt.He may be jailed and/ or fined here for contempt until he pays up.You may also get a judgment here including cots and lawyer fees.Certainly your lawyer can force him to pay up.

RayAnswers :

You would serve him with your motion and then proceed to have it heard by the judge on the merits.It is not illegal and he does not know what he is talking about.If the judge ordered it then it is a debt and he can be held in contempt here.

RayAnswers :

Consider a divorce lawyer to pursue this including lawyer fees and costs as well.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Customer:

Since he knows I dont have the financial means to go to a lawyer and go to court, he refuses to even talk about it

RayAnswers :

What state are you in here?

Customer:

georgia

Customer:

also, is it correct that whatever is decided in the final decree is valid? I literally typed up complete alimony order and all I get back is....see you in court

Customer:

he makes close to 90.000 per year and my income is below 25.000....so very uneven fight

RayAnswers :

Gob the court where divorce was entered ask clerk for a motion for contempt form and order to show case.You can draft your own motion here.Get copy of order you are trying to enforce and attach to your motion.Write cover letter asking for a hearing and take him to court.

RayAnswers :

Go by the court where divorce was entered ask clerk for a motion for contempt form and order to show case.You can draft your own motion here.Get copy of order you are trying to enforce and attach to your motion.Write cover letter asking for a hearing and take him to court.

RayAnswers :

Don't give up here keep after him.

Customer:

Thank you sooo much!!