Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

my girlfriend just call me im on the road working her sons

my girlfriend just call me im on the road working her son's father just sever her with custody papers. she is due in cournt on the 2nd of feb. she son has been staying with the father's parents. now she is on a deferred sentince for drugs and he has been in jail for drugs. we have been dating for 3 weeks now and i took this job to help her get on her feet. now she says she has to have her own place to live and a car to get him back and forth to school. i am working on the car and i told her that she could move in with me but she think that will not help her case. the judge she will go in front of took her lttle girl away from her 5 years ago. she is trying to get her life in order but things are just happening fast than i can affordso what do i do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, at this point there is not going to be a lot you can do. She will need an attorney to answer this motion for custody and she is going to have to prove to the court she has a suitable place to live and means to get the child to school, even if it is a relative. However, if she cannot do so at this point there is a good chance she can lose and unfortunately the facts here are not on her side in the matter. I wish I had better news for you, but based on the situation you described we cannot be very positive about the outcome as those facts are all against her.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so she looses him what do i do to get him back
She would have to change her situation significantly and then file a motion for change in custody and prove to the court the living and economic conditions she was under have significantly changed such that the change is in the best interest of the child.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok so would moving in with me be a problem in the judges eyes due to the fact it is not her place or better yet if i got a 2 bedroom place ofr us to live would the courts have a problem with her living with me. i have no record of any kind

As you are not married, the court could have a problem with her cohabitating with someone she is not married to and use this as grounds to continue to deny her custody. If you can establish she has her own room and the child has their own room and you are merely roommates, that would likely be sufficient to convince the court that she has better living conditions for the child.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks you for your time