GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti

My 17 year old is pregnant. Is the unborn babys father responsible

My 17 year old is pregnant. Is the unborn baby's father responsible for any of the medical cost associated with the pregnancy? I live in Illinois
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

In IL, fathers can be held responsible for medical expenses associated with pregnancy. The problem arises when the parents are not married there is no presumption that the man she is saying is the father, is indeed the father. He would have to be proven as the father to be held responsible for any expenses and he cannot be shown to be the father until the child is born. After the child is born and paternity is established, she asks for child support, she can then seek reimbursement for half the medical expenses. It will then be up to the court to order him to pay or not. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.