romaellelaw
romaellelaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  A FL licensed attorney and guardian ad litem for minors
63198330

I am financially needing help as I cannot afford a good attorney.

Customer Question

I am financially needing help as I cannot afford a good attorney. I live in Missouri and my children living with their father in florida since August 2011 yet the father petition for modification of custody in ga where he previously lived and judge signed it in sep 2011. I never received written notice of the move anyway nor would I have agreed to it, there is order for no direct and indirect contact with father's ex wife towards the children yet father has facebook contact with ex wife and my children are friends with the ex wife's children on facebook which I don't know if that is a violation of order, children have slept and spent the night with the fathers girlfriend on numerous occasions even though it is court ordered no spending the night at father or mothers house by boyfriend or girlfriend and not sure if that is a violation. Does not give me any information about the kids extra curricular activities and does not allow me to talk about my opinion and just does it anyway and has made a threat to me and my boyfriend that stating that he has a BIG surprise for me and my boyfriend if that is how i want to play because I asked him questions about a person background of the person caring for my children. Now he is in Maryland for 3 weeks, did not notify me and had his father come from MO to stay with my kids and only information I have is their home phone for contact. My kids are currently in Florida, I am in MO and their father in MD and I feel that it is not stable for the children in that circumstance if their father is traveling and children left behind. I feel my kids may be at harm, father is in several violations and children have been unstable. What can I do to change for primary custodial to be with me as previously a guardian ad litem report stated that children should reside with me (all my family live in my state as well as all of their fathers family) and not the father due to domestic violence he allowed in the home by his ex wife. Please help! desperate for my children to be better. I am not even sure who would have the jurisdiction, GA or FL.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  smithlaw1177 replied 2 years ago.

smithlaw1177 :

Hello I can try to help

smithlaw1177 :

Where and when did the divorce take place?

Customer:

original divorce was petitioned and finalized in state of az in 04

smithlaw1177 :

Do you know why a Georgia Judge took jurisdiction. Were the children in GA at the time the dad filed for custody?

Customer:

father lived in ga for a few years and just recently moved to fl

Customer:

yes we all lived in ga at the time just different counties

Customer:

i moved out of ga in oct 10, filed in ga jan 11 and he moved out in july/aug 11 and was finalized by ga judge sep 11

Customer:

im back to my job and can not chat at this time can be available around 11 tommorrow am will check in then. thanks for all your help

smithlaw1177 :

ok thank you sorry I missed your last chat. I will talk to you tomorrow.

Customer:

I have a very crazy schedule, i work from 1030 pm to ususally 730 am sunday evenings to thursday evenings. i apologize for the inconvenience.

smithlaw1177 :

Please allow me to opt out. I am usually working during the day. Maybe another experts schedule will work better for you. Good Luck!!

Expert:  romaellelaw replied 2 years ago.
You will need to file an contempt order in GA and file a motion for primary residential status with the children. You can do this using self help, but you will need to pay the court fees. Other options

1. contact your local legal aid office
2. call your local universities to see if you can have your case taken by law students with the supervision of an attorney using one of their clinics

Please remember to click Accept when you receive your answer. If the answer was particularly helpful, a BONUS is always appreciated, too! Remember, if you do not click ACCEPT, I will not be compensated.
My answer is not a legal advice but general information. No attorney client relationship has been formed.
romaellelaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience: A FL licensed attorney and guardian ad litem for minors
Please remember to click Accept when you receive your answer. IF YOU DO NOT CLICK ACCEPT I WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME. If the answer was particularly helpful, a BONUS is always appreciated, too! Disclaimer: My answer is not a legal advice but general information. No attorney client relationship has been formed.