How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question

Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12241
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are both American. Im from CT, shes from TX

Customer Question

My wife and I are both American. I'm from CT, she's from TX and we were living in PA for 2 years prior to moving overseas. After living overseas for 9+ years how will I be able to establish a legally-binding jurisdictional venue for an "American standard" divorce (complete with a settlement, alimony and child support)?

Understandably, most US states have residency requirements for filing divorce actions in their jurisdictions. From what I can tell, we would not satisfy CT, TX or PA's residency requirements, so where would we look to conclude our divorce action?

Thanks & best regards,

Christopher Twomey XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello Christopher:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. Tell me a bit more about your situation. To start:


(1) where do you and your wife reside?

(2) why are you overseas?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We currently reside in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. We moved to Hong Kong in January, 2003 for an opportunity with my company; we then moved to Singapore in 2005 and then to Vietnam in February, 2007. I am still with the same company.


My wife resumed working in September, 2011 after not working since the birth of our son in September, 2001.


Her "following" my career resulted in an expat lifestyle that included maids/nannies; drivers; etc., so it was not a hardship for her to "follow" me to Asia. Unfortunately, this lifestyle is also what lead her to be unfaithful for many years.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

That would definitely move your marriage outside the jurisdiction of any of the 50 states or U.S. territories. Even if you were stationed overseas as U.S. military you could file in the United States but if you wanted the states to regain jurisdiction over the marriage, one of you would have to relocate back to the states.


Each state has its on residency requirements. Some states require extended residency (up to two years), but some states are minimal--Alaska, for example, only requires that you reside in Alaska at the time of filing (with no duration requirement).


With both of you living in Ho Chi Minh City in the private sector since 2007, no state or territory (and, as far as I know, no other country) will recognize jurisdiction over your marriage. You will need to divorce in Vietnam, or relocate.



I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Thank you.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have heard that the US protectorate of Guam may have similarly low residency requirements. Do you know anything about that and if an un-contested divorce settlement in Guam would be enforceable in the US?


Other than that, what do I do to effect a legal divorce because the legal system in Vietnam is not conducive for a legal divorce between two American citizens who eventually plan to move back to the US?

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

Guam requires that one of the spouses reside in the territory for 90 days prior to filing, so it is relatively unrestrictive, but still more restrictive than the Alaska example. A Guam effectuated in divorce would be recognized as valid anywhere in the United States.


If you have concluded that a divorce in Vietnam would not meet all of your needs, you have a choice to make--you can divorce there with an imperfect result, or you can wait until one of you returns to the United States. Your citizenship alone is not enough to give the U.S. jurisdiction over your marriage; one of you must live in the U.S. and meet the state/territory requirements, or you cannot divorce in the United States courts.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: