Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.

A female left her vehicle at a business place that I work at

A female left her vehicle at a business place that I work at and i said it is okay for her to leave her vehicle there. Then her vehicle got tow the next day or so, and she is saying it is my responsibility to pay her to pay for her $121 ticket and tow fee...am i held liable?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello! I can definitely help you with this question.

meigs004 :

Allow me to post my standard blurb about accepting answers here on JA.

meigs004 :

Then I will address your question specifically.

meigs004 :

If at anytime you feel that I have adequately provided you with an answer to your question, then if you would please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my work that would be very much appreciated. Also, bonuses are optional, and are certainly not required, but very much appreciated. Remember, clicking the accept button does not prevent you from asking further questions on this post, and will not preclude me from continuing to answer your questions and provide you with research.

meigs004 :

Do you own the business in which the female left her vehicle?

Customer:

Nope

Customer:

its a gas station i work at

meigs004 :

Ok. Did you read and understand the notice I posted about accepting answers?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i understand that if i am satisfy with what is answered to me then i click accept, right

meigs004 :

Correct. Thank you for reading that.

meigs004 :

I can assure you, absolutely under no circumstances are you liable for the 121.

Customer:

welcome

meigs004 :

You were just an employee at a business. The business, including you as an employee, are not responsible for a vehicle left in the parking lot.

meigs004 :

It appears that the female is attempting to guilt you into paying for the tow.

Customer:

she says i would have to go to court if i dont agree to pay it

meigs004 :

That also is absolutely not true. You simply told her that she could leave it in the parking lot. You did not assure her that it would not be towed.

meigs004 :

She is trying to guilt you into paying that amount because you represented to her that it was ok for her to park there. At the end of the day, she will have to pay the 121 and you are not liable for her unreasonable reliance on you telling her that it is ok.

Customer:

u mean it is in the wording? because i did breifly say "I dont think it will" to her...thus not promising anything to her when i said "I think"

meigs004 :

It really does not matter what assertions you made to her. You simply stated that you did not think that her car would be towed, and that it would be ok.

meigs004 :

she relied on a statement by you that turned out not to be true and her car got towed.

meigs004 :

The old adage, tough cookies comes to mind.

meigs004 :

She would be waisting her time to take this case to an attorney or to file a suit to recover the 121

Customer:

yes her car got tow by my business and i didnt inform my company about her car being left there, am I somehow at fault for not notifying my employer that i let her leave her vehicle there?

meigs004 :

That would depend on the employer, but I will represent to you that you are still more than likely not liable.

Customer:

ok, my employer doesnt know what to say, they did not comment on if i was held responsible or not

meigs004 :

I can only go off the facts that you gave me, but it sounds as if she is just trying to guilt you into paying.

Customer:

makes sense

meigs004 :

There is no legal liability that can be taken against you. However, I can not speak for your employer.

meigs004 :

Does this answer your question?

meigs004 :

If you would please click accept so that I may be compensated I would greatly appreciate it.

Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.