Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law

I share Joint Legal custody of my children, the Father has

I share Joint Legal custody of my children, the Father has active Felony Warrants.
During visitation exchange If I refused to release the children to anyone other than the other custodial Parent (The Father) would I be in violation of any family court orders ? My custody paperwork does not state that I am required to release the children to the Fathers Family though he has sent them recently to pick up the children in an attempt to avoid any possible police contact due to his warrants.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. Absent a court order to the contrary, there is no requirement that custody be released to anyone other than the other parent. As an aside, I should point out that even if it was in violation of the court's order, the father would be unable to enforce it. If he appeared in court to enforce the matter, they would arrest him on the spot.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Thank you.