Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I live in New York but am going to attend a law enforcement

Customer Question

I live in New York but am going to attend a law enforcement academy in Florida which requires a Florida driver license. My aunt lives in Florida and will let me stay with her while attending (around 7 months). My question is that if I switch my New York license to a Florida one would there be any issues since I would still be spending most of the time I am not in school in New York? Also upon completing the course I am considering permantly moving to Florida.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
No, as you are in school there, the FL law says that you can obtain a license and must have a FL license if you are living in FL 30 days or more. There is no issue with you spending the majority of your time in FL (which you would be for the 7 months) and visiting NY on your breaks. You saying "I would still be spending most of the time I am not in school in NY" is sort of a misstatement on your part, since the breaks in this school are not very long compared to the time you will be actually in FL and in school. Thus, you can get a FL drivers license without a problem.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I switched the license this month and was not able to attended the school for the June 2012 class due to limited space would there be any issue of waiting until the June 2013 class but spending that time in New York?
Yes, since FL is not your state of residence, NY can make you get a NY license as you are not spending the majority of your time in FL. (That is the legal answer, but honestly, people who have someone living in FL do this all of the time and most do not get caught as long as they can justify how they spend 30+ days at a time in FL. However, the laws state that if you reside in a state for 30+ days you must get a drivers license in that state).
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.