GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
46665915

When my husband and I first divorced in Missouri, the court

When my husband and I first divorced in Missouri, the court awarded joint custody with myself having primary physical custody. My ex-husband dropped out of our daughters life for years and now calls her on the occasional Sunday, has physically seen her 17 times (days) since 2001. In the original divorce decree, under the "legal custody" heading it stated that we were given the right to claim our daughter on our taxes. Which my ex has never done. In 2005, I took my ex-husband back to court in Virginia (where I currently live) and was awarded sole physical and legal custody of our daughter with visitation at my discretion. At the time my attorney told me that having sole physical and legal custody negated the divorce decree portion stating my ex-husband could claim our daughter as a dependent. This year, I discovered (after having my taxes rejected) that he claimed her for the first time ever. Does he have a legal right to do this? Is this true?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

he has no legal right to claim her and you need to send the divorce decree (copy) to the iRS and inform them that he has no right to claim her and furthermore that she has never resided with him during the year. to claim her he would have to provide a home for her more than 50% of the year. He has committed tax fraud by claiming her. Send a copy of the letter to him also and inform him that he needs to file an amended tax return and not claim her. It will then be up to the IRS to go after him. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.