How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask John Domestic Your Own Question

John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John Domestic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son has a daughter that is about to turn 11 in March he

Customer Question

my son has a daughter that is about to turn 11 in March he is not on the birth certificate and when she was born the guy her mother was married to was listed as the father for over 3 to 4 yrs. he has asked the mother of the child several times to get it changed, and she goes off on him she says why you don't beleive she is yours and all this. well since she has been living with her morther,a different step father and her grandmother two brothers, her aunt and cousin in a 3 bedroom house where she shares a room with her 2 brothers and cousin so the grown ups can have a room to themselves,as well as the several other cousins 3 others at one point 1 male 17 at the time and another male 15 about to be 16 and another male 14 going on 15 she was molested along with 2 of her girl cousins for approx 6 months before the grown ups found out. she also had another cuosin who was staying there for a while while she was small and was cleaning his handgun and it went off and went the the wall in her room where she was sleeping and almost hit her her step father is selling drugs per her own mother telling me so. she has decided now she wants to take him to court for back child support, and what have you which he said he wouldn't mind paying but he has given her money several times as well as me and my husband and they also call us telling us what she needs and we make sure she gets it. his concern is he wants custody since she is taking him to court he feels she will then have to submit to a dna test which she has denied him until now he lives in florida and she is here in alabama,with his daughter and her 2 sons by her second marriage. she called him last year cause the man she is married to now would not provide money for their sons birthday and she told my son and he sent her $200.00 for them. does he have any chance at custody. also after it came out about the molestation which she only called me on not my son I had to call him her mother the grandmother they live with took my grandchild and her two cousins that were molested with her over to the grandmothers house who molested them where he was staying at that time and the 2 grandmothers tied him to a chair and gave the girls a baseball bat to hit him with which to me totally shocked me when i found out even the grand mother told me about it. my question is does he have a chance at custody he has held the same job for 5 years has a 3 bedroom house one bedroom is dedicated to his daughter and she has always said she wants to live with her daddy, plus she just told me this past week the her mother punches her. any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John Domestic replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

He must start with a petition for paternity. He has no Legal options for custody until he can be legally recognized as the father. At the moment the legal father is the man that she was married to at birth.

Here is the Alabama form Petition that he will have to file to have the court legally determine paternity.

Once paternity is established. Custody between the two parents will be reviewed by the court as what is in the daughter's best interest. He will have to show her current situation would be better with him. I will warn you that the court will be very reluctant to allow him to take her out of Alabama to live in Florida.
John Domestic, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience: Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.
John Domestic and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now the mother did have the one she was married to at the time not declared as the father when she was 3 or 4 and had his name removed and my son did stand up in court and say he is the father but they never went any further with it, the mother did contact him to show up in a few months to sign an affadavitt declaring him as the father , wont they require a dna test
Expert:  John Domestic replied 2 years ago.
If he consents to being the father they will not require a DNA test. If he petitions normally then they will require a DNA test unless both he and the mother waive the test.

Even with all the past paternity issues, it does not sound like there has been a formal declaration that he is the father by the court. He still needs to file the petition for paternity with the court that I linked above.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Last | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    27+ years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 15 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Thoreau (T-USA)'s Avatar

    Thoreau (T-USA)


    Satisfied Customers: