Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

In S.C at what age does child support stop; 18 or high school

In S.C at what age does child support stop; 18 or high school graduation?
Submitted: 4 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. In South Carolina, child support ordinarily stops once the child turns age 18 unless the child is still enrolled in high school, in which case the court may order support until the child graduates or discontinues the high school education. It is also possible for child support to continue through four years of college under exceptional circumstances, but that is not typical.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Thank you.