JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

My daughter and I have lived with my ex for 4 years. I had

My daughter and I have lived with my ex for 4 years. I had to move out once because of abusive behavior. I worried that because he pays all the daughter and I are going to be homeless on the 11th when my temp protective order is up. should i file for common law marriage? or what can I do to protect us. I want to move out but there isnt anything affordable available right now.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 years ago.
Technically Utah doesn't have a common law marriage but you can petition the court to recognize the relationship as a marriage so it equates to the same thing.

The Utah state court website will provide you with the requirements and other information on how you get the marriage recognized at

That is probably the best way to protect yourself and your daughter since the court can make orders regarding support and use of the homestead. Since you already got a protective order it makes your case stronger.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.